Outer Temple Chambers is an established leading set of chambers providing bespoke legal services for solicitors, in-house counsel, professional clients and private individuals. Our success is built on sound legal advice and effective problem solving, focused wholly on the individual needs of our clients.
Fostered by an open and diverse culture that makes us easy to work with, we have barristers spanning all levels of expertise. Many are highly respected leaders in their respective fields.
Our barristers and staff are our greatest asset – our services can only be as good as the people who deliver them. They are not only technically capable and commercially astute, but professional and friendly, and they get the training and support they need to deliver a high standard of customer service.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen for a Junior Fees Clerk to join our busy Fees & Finance Team.
The appointee will support colleagues by providing administrative and organisational support to the Fees & Finance Team and assist with providing an efficient and professional service to barristers, suppliers and clients.
- In tandem with the rest of the team, ensure that fees are collected promptly and in an appropriate manner.
- Assist the team in the recovery of aged debt by calling clients, liaising with barristers and updating the Lex database.
- Send fee notes/invoices for all new work billed and generate reminders via the LEX workflow system to chase outstanding fees, working with the senior fees clerks to identify specific fees to be chased.
- Monitor and deal with emails in the fees team inbox when required as well as dealing with telephone queries and letters relating to fee collection.
- Draft bespoke letters to clients to resolve specific queries.
- Investigate and resolve queries relating to non-payment of fees, referring fees queries from clerks and barristers to more senior team members where necessary.
- Respond to requests for copy invoices, receipts, barrister bank details etc.
- Assist with annual fee reviews for barristers (with more senior team members).
- Refer all non-standard contentious letters relating to fees to the senior fees clerks for guidance.
- Take credit card payments and maintain their records.
- Log remittance advices and spot queries relating to payments.
- Ensure that excellent customer relations is maintained.
- Retain accurate records in all correspondence in relation to fee chasing and queries.
- Refer any potential issues of bad payers to the senior fees clerks or clerks.
Knowledge, Skills and competencies required:
- BTEC and/or 5 GCSEs including Maths and English grade 4, level C or above
- A levels preferred but not essential
- Good spoken and written English
- Experience of working in a professional services environment (desirable)
- Experience of accounts, credit control and legal cash collection (desirable)
- Knowledge of Lex and legal funding systems (desirable)
- Good knowledge of Microsoft software
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good organisational skills; the ability to work in a disruptive environment with competing demands and to prioritise effectively
- Potential to develop and take on senior responsibilities
- Flexibility, adaptability and willingness to help out
- The ability to be positive and take the initiative with a “can-do” attitude and positive, friendly approach
- Customer focused: understands what this means and uses initiative to meet client needs and expectations
- Good team player; supports the team and values the contribution of other team members
- Communicates well and understand the importance of clear communication
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to equality and diversity
- Ability to work unsupervised and plan own workload
- Tact and diplomacy
This post is eligible for a criminal record check (both at the point of recruitment and during the course of employment).
Equality & Diversity
Outer Temple Chambers is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to diversity amongst its staff and members. We are also a Disability Confident Employer. We welcome applications from women, minority ethnic groups, people with disabilities and LGBT+ candidates as well as those from other groups which are underrepresented in the legal sector.
To apply please visit our webpage for an application pack: https://www.outertemple.com/join-our-team/professional-support-vacancies/
Email address for applications – firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Wednesday 20th October 2021