Wilberforce Chambers is widely recognised as a leading set in its core specialist areas of commercial litigation, insolvency, pensions, private client and trusts, property, professional negligence, and arbitration. Chambers is able to offer specialist barristers at all levels of seniority and across the spectrum of commercial and chancery work. Members work hard to build and maintain strong longterm relationships with their clients, including leading UK and international law firms, multinational corporations, major organisations, private companies, and individuals.
Chambers is seeking a Junior Clerk to join their growing practice management team. You will assist in providing at all times an effective and efficient practice management service as well as professional diary management to all members of your team. The successful candidate will be highly motivated, have excellent communication skills and wish to forge an established career as a Clerk.
Hours: 8.30am to 5.30pm or 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday
Reporting to: Senior Practice Manager
Job Summary/ Key Accountabilities:
• Always Providing an effective and efficient practice management service to all members of chambers (and additionally to members outside of that when required, in agreement with your Senior Practice Manager, the practice managers in that team and/or the Practice Director)
• Assisting the Senior Practice Manager, Practice Manager and Practice Assistant in the day-today smooth functioning of the practices of the team of barristers designated to your team
• Deputising for the Practice Manager or Practice Assistant as and when required, where
agreed in advance with the Senior Practice Manager
• Ensuring that chambers always remain within the requirements of the BSB Handbook
General clerking function
• Ensuring at all times, via your own personal conduct, that chambers’ clerking function
remains within the requirements of the BSB Handbook.
• Answering telephone or video calls in a timely and professional manner as per established
quality standard procedures (including the calls to colleagues on other teams if and when
• Dealing with or where suitable referring onwards to the relevant barrister or member of
staff, any queries or enquiries that might generally arise – either verbally, via the telephone,
by email or in writing – and ensuring clear and comprehensive notes are kept on the LEX
system at all times.
• Entering instructions/case related papers and any other notes as may be necessary on the
LEX system, in respect of your team members, and ensuring they are passed immediately to
the relevant member of chambers or other clerking members of your team for
• Ensuring your team complies at all times with its established best practice procedures in
respect of money laundering, complaints, conflict searches and fair distribution of work
• Professional management of the diaries of all members of your team as and when required.
• Ensuring that a high quality level of support is received by members of chambers at all times in relation to their attendances at court and at conferences: for example, but not limited to, ensuring the time and location of hearings/conferences is communicated well in advance;
ensuring where necessary the prompt delivery to and collection from court of papers; the
copying of authorities; allocating/agreeing in advance which clerk will attend court with the
barrister if assistance is required; and any other reasonable barrister requests and
requirements in relation to the above;
• Ensuring, as and when required, the prompt exchange and lodging of Skeleton Arguments
and lodging of Minutes of Order and associated record keeping in line with the Code of
• Ensuring full details of any requests for fee quotes for members of your team are passed on
to another member of the clerking team as soon as is practicable and recording full details of any quotes given on the LEX system when it has been agreed that you should give the quote yourself.
• Taking full details of any fee disputes as and when they arise and promptly referring matters onto the other clerks in your team or to the fees team for consideration.
Junior clerking/support function
• Taking the lead in dealing with printing requests on behalf of team members – e.g., emailed instructions and other paperwork etc.
• Collecting/receiving and distributing the DX/general post each morning.
• Organising, franking and taking the general outgoing post to the post box each evening, the outgoing DX to the main Document Exchange building and ensuring requests for
special/recorded deliveries are dealt with efficiently as and when they arise.
• Ensuring the timely collection of deliveries from the main reception throughout the day as
and when informed.
• Assisting in the process of the regular and timely return of completed paperwork back to
solicitors and other clients (or confidential shredding if agreed with the barrister/client) and
in particular ensuring the build-up of boxes and papers in corridors is kept to a minimum at
• Assisting with the regular post-runs around the buildings and the daily locking up of
chambers (in the absence of the Junior Administrator) and undertaking the final post run
• Deputising for the Practice Assistant in their absence as and when agreed with the Senior
Practice Manager and/or Practice Manager.
• Ensuring that inter-team co-operation and good working relationships are
developed/maintained with the other teams and ensuring that support is both provided and
requested from the other teams as and when necessary, in order to ensure that the practice
management function performs effectively and efficiently at all times.
• Supporting members of chambers, where required, in the regular seminars/talks given by
chambers generally, individual interest groups and individual members of your team,
including the following up of leads/feedback as appropriate.
• Generally supporting and assisting chambers’ Marketing Manager and Marketing Assistant in the marketing of chambers and its members and ensuring, on such occasions, that a
professional image is presented at all times.
• Any other tasks as may reasonably be required from time to time required by the senior
staff management, members of chambers and chambers’ clients in order to properly and
fully fulfil the role required by Chambers as a member of the practice management team.
In addition to an extremely competitive annual salary, the wider renumeration package will include:
• Payment of reasonable travel costs
• Performance-linked bonus
• Private medical insurance
• Workplace pension
For all enquiries please contact:
ABC Chambers Solutions LLP – 0203 890 8190 – 38 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1EN
To apply for this role please e-mail a comprehensive CV and covering letter to one of the team or contact them directly for a confidential discussion:
All third-party applications will be forwarded to ABC Chambers Solutions.