Department: Insurance & Public Risk
Team: BJ Barristers
Reporting to: Head of Department & Senior Clerk
We are a national law firm offering a unique collection of specialisms across the commercial, public, health and insurance sectors, with offices in Birmingham, Exeter, London, Manchester and Nottingham.
We have long-standing relationships with an impressive range of clients and aim to truly understand their needs to deliver an exceptional service which exceeds their expectations and makes their life easier. We endeavour to be the best regional firm as measured by quality, client engagement and satisfaction and people retention and development. We believe that, as a truly inclusive employer, we will be able to collaborate more effectively and, by bringing diverse perspectives to our work, create a culture where difference is valued, delivering the best possible service to our broad client base. We also strive to create
meaningful personal and professional development opportunities and offer flexible working in support of a good work-life balance.
Why is this role important and how does it fit into the team, department & wider firm?
To provide proactive, high level support to the senior clerk of the and the Barristers within the BJ Barristers team, reducing administration, taking ownership of diary management and ensuring that client expectations are exceeded.
What does the role actually involve?
- Managing instructions and diaries for all team members
- Liaising with Partners / fee earners and external clients to book barristers and advocates for hearings and conferences
- Liaising with courts / clients, including moving cases and making representations as required
- Building and maintaining relationships with clients (internal and external to the firm) and the team,
- Where external Counsel is instructed, ensure that all relevant papers are identified and sent
- Managing diaries –
o ensuring all cases are covered, diaries are updated with next hearing dates promptly and
o future deadlines are added to the individual’s diary upon receipt of instructions
- Keeping on top of the monthly billing and ensuring all invoices have been paid
- Ensuring barristers have provided attendance notes/outcome of hearing notes promptly to instructing solicitor within 24 hours and urgently chasing until received
- Being complaint with SQM Quality standard
- Obtaining and recording Client feedback
- Ensuring Management Information is kept updated
- Internal and external client liaison
- Photocopying, scanning, filing, opening new files if required
- Managing and distributing secure emails
- Assisting with marketing where required incl. booking training events/seminars
- Delivering papers to court where necessary
- Agreeing appropriate fixed fees and ensuring they are recovered in full after completion
- Checking and confirming the next days’ court listings
- Identifying new work streams internally and externally and liaising with relevant people to collaborate with them by showcasing the BJ Barristers offering
- Developing the BJ Barrister offering across the firm in all sectors and offices
- Representing the team at internal meetings to feedback on the BJ Barristers achievements and to develop an understanding of other clients and areas of work
- Assist the development of the team in other offices through regular visits to those offices to meet with advocates and other key contacts
- Assist the team’s Partners with the business development of the BJ Barristers brand
- Coordinating the team’s submission to Chambers & Legal 500 directories
What technical skills are required for someone to be successful and enjoy the role?
- Experience of using IT systems to generate reports, formatting and editing as required
- Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- An aptitude for producing documents and client communications of the highest standard
- Familiarity with CourtServe
Who would be a good fit for this role?
As part of the BJ Barristers team, you would be expected to have the following skills and experience:
- Ideally, previous experience within a chambers or solicitors’ firm
- An interest in/experience of client relationship management
- A confident understanding of the business and strong business acumen
- Ability to work under own initiative and have the confidence to deal with people at all levels within the business, making quick decisions when needed
- Excellent diary management and organisational skills with the ability to use initiative and anticipate needs
- Exceptional attention to detail, ensuring accuracy in all client communications and deliverables
- An effective communicator with the ability to establish and build client relationships; striving to provide exceptional service at all times
- Effective at investigating issues and seeing a problem through to conclusion
- Conscientious, taking personal responsibility for own work and accountability for its delivery and quality
- Excellent team player, sharing in team goals to provide excellent quality and efficiency of service, with a willingness to take on new responsibilities and challenges
- Positive can-do attitude with the ability to adapt to change
- Confidential and discreet but able to redirect information when appropriate to ensure areas of concern are resolved effectively
- a good telephone manner and strong written communication skills
- Highly motivated with the ability to multi-task under a time pressure
To apply for the role, please use the following link: